To me Fannie Farmer’s recipe is the only “real” Macaroni & Cheese. It’s from my 1946 edition of “Fannie Farmer’s Boston Cooking School Cookbook”. With time on it’s side – this recipe is hands down the best for traditional, homemade baked macaroni & cheese – comfort food. Please Note: If you use CHEAP CHEESE you will end up with a BLAND and FLAVORLESS DISH!
Directions0/0 steps made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter. Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.